Hi everyone! I wanted to get a little creative with #mealprepmondays and what better to make than lasagna? I’m an avid pasta lover and it’s my biggest weakness, so I was super excited to try out a low-carb version of one of my favorite foods. It takes a little bit of time to prepare (about an hour) but it’s SO WORTH IT. I didn’t have a picture of the lasagna on my plate because I was too hungry and had to eat….. don’t act like you can’t relate.
What you need:
1 lb lean ground turkey (you can use beef too)
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
Seasonings: Black pepper, parsley, basil
1 can of crushed tomatoes
2 medium zucchini, sliced very thinly
1 + 1/2 cups part-skim ricotta cheese
2 cups mozzerella cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and stir occasionally for 10-12 minutes.
- Drain in a colander to remove excess fat.
- Add olive oil + garlic and sautee for 2-3 minutes, and then add in crushed tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Slice zucchini into very thin slices, resembling pasta. Take out any moisture from the zucchini with a paper towel so that it does not make the lasagna watery.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix ricotta cheese, 1 egg, and 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- In a cake/casserole pan (whatever you prefer to bake, just make sure it’s big), spread 1/2 cup of the tomato + meat sauce on the bottom. Add a layer of zucchini strips, and then add the ricotta cheese mixture on top and spread. Continue doing this until all ingredients have been used. Top with remaining sauce and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese!
- Cover with a glass top or foil and bake for 30 minutes. Once done, uncover and bake for another 20 minutes. Take it out and let cool for 10 minutes, and then dig in!